Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures I have been looking forward to this film since I saw the first preview. It focuses on three black women working for NASA during the beginning of the Mercury program, and especially on John Glenn's first trip to space. It's ironic that the movie was released the same month John Glenn died. I just saw it, and I loved it. I highly recommend it. I'm also definitely adding the book to my To Read list.

Katherine Johnson, the woman who calculated the trajectory for Alan Shepard and rechecked the calculations made by the new electronic computers before John Glenn's flight, at his request, is still alive. In November 2015, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award--one year ahead of two other prominent female mathematicians: Margaret H. Hamilton, who led the team that created the on-board flight software for NASA's Apollo command modules and lunar modules; and Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, who received the medal posthumously.

It reminds me of a t-shirt one of my teachers had: "Women in Technology / Get Used To It."

No comments:

Post a Comment