Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Multitasking

When I first heard the term "multitasking" I thought it was a good thing. Later studies, however, demonstrated that when you try to do more than one thing at a time, you frequently don't do either of them well. Now there are laws against certain types of multitasking, such as using a cell phone while driving a car. That, of course, is one of those laws that should just be common sense.

This morning, when I should have been writing my blog entry for the week, I inadvertently attempted to multitask to the point of total overload. I had ten tabs open in the browser I was using, plus two other web browser programs, an e-mail program, MS Word and four spreadsheets running. It's a wonder that my computer didn't shut down before my brain did, victim to total confusion.

I finally noticed it was past lunchtime, so I got up from the computer (actually, I pried my stiffened body out of the chair and forced it to start moving again), ate lunch, and watched a movie I had recorded on TV last month–until I got bored and deleted it halfway through. Then I curled up on the sofa with a book (Fire and Hemlock, by Diana Wynne Jones), and the next thing I knew, it was time for Vespers. So I'm writing my blog entry now, which means I'm finally achieving the third of five things I was really, really supposed to do today.

As soon as I post this, I'd better get back to the slush pile. I have four more days of that, and then I'll be assembling Sword & Sorceress 27 and sending out contracts. I'm hoping that once that is done I'll be able to do more of my own writing. I do still plan to finish the novel I'm working on, no matter how long–and how many rewrites–it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment