Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sceptre of the Ungodly

For the 2009 anthology SWORD AND SORCERESS 24, Michael Spence and I wrote another "Treasures" story. This time, however, we were dealing with an anti-Treasure. For years I had been reading, in the mid-day Office for Saturday: "For the sceptre of the ungodly shall not abide upon the lot of the righteous; * lest the righteous put their hand unto wickedness." I thought that anything called the Sceptre of the Ungodly had definite possibilities, so I started with the title. Then Michael and I got together and decided to stick Edward with the job of Guardian for it, which made sense in view of his actions in earlier stories. Then we had the Sceptre get lost and turn up in the worst possible place for him to retrieve it from, so it's a good thing that he had Alyssa, who is the Guardian of her own anti-Treasure, the Blade of Unmaking, to help him.

"Sceptre of the Ungodly" is in the second volume of TREASURES OF ALBION.