Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Blade of Unmaking


"The Blade of Unmaking" is the first story in what became the "Treasures series" -- stories about mystical treasures or anti-treasures held by a succession of Guardians. It appeared in SWORD AND SORCERESS 14 in 1997. I'm sure that I'm far from being the only teenager who ever wanted to kill herself, and judging from the popularity of the panels on "Abuse Themes in Science Fiction" at conventions, I'm not the only one who had a difficult relationship with a parent. So it wasn't hard for me to come up with the idea of a dagger that would make whoever picked it up want to commit suicide -- or murder.

"The Blade of Unmaking" is in the first volume of TREASURES OF ALBION.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I think this story is my favorite story of all time. It encapsulates some emotional truth for me, and I want to thank you for having written it. :)

    ReplyDelete