Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Capella


"A Capella" was my story for the last of MZB's Darkover anthologies, SNOWS OF DARKOVER, which was published in 1994. The story is another Darkover "out-take" -- I took a few characters I liked from HEIRS OF HAMMERFELL, added a couple of new ones, and set the story shortly after the book ended.

The reading period for SNOWS OF DARKOVER was a disaster -- due to some legal problems, everyone who submitted a story had to sign an agreement drawn up by Mrs. Bradley's lawyer before she could even look at the story. I was doing the organizational side of things, as usual, and the piles of manuscripts and legal documents took over every flat space in my bedroom because (a) the manuscripts couldn't go into the office until we had the signed form, and (b) it was always a battle keeping manuscripts and SASEs organized during an anthology reading period. We weren't quite drowning in paper, but we were close.

These days, thank God, it's much easier -- mostly because there's no paper involved. I will start reading for SWORD & SORCERESS 26 this Saturday, and I expect to get a lot of submissions, but they'll be RTF attachments to e-mails, which I can read without having to print them out.

"A Capella" is available for Kindle and Nook and from Fictionwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment