Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meeting of Minds

I wrote "Meeting of Minds" as a birthday present for my youngest sister, who collected tropical fish (and provided the technical details for this story). Once I was dealing with animals, it was natural to make the protagonist a MacAran, like the heroine of Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel HAWKMISTRESS. (I've been accused of naming my character after Disney's Little Mermaid, but if I did, it wasn't a conscious decision.) Because Marion wanted something short and funny for every anthology she edited, she bought this for LERONI OF DARKOVER, which was published in November 1991.

This story produced what is still my favorite fan letter. The writer said, "I had terrible luck with my tropical fish. They all lived."

"Meeting of Minds" is available available for Kindle and Nook.