Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Weather Witch

I tend to approach a lot of my writing in the spirit in which I used to approach my homework in school -- hence my unofficial motto: "It doesn't have to be perfect; it has to be Thursday." But "Weather Witch" actually was a homework assignment. I don't remember now exactly when I wrote it, but I believe it was sometime between 1975 and 1977.  This is a good example of why you should save everything you write; even if it doesn't sell in its original form, you can always adapt it as part of your later work. I hung on to this for well over a decade, until MZB was doing a short-short story issue of Marion Zimmer Bradley's FANTASY Magazine. She needed really short stories, and it just so happened that I had one handy.

"Weather Witch" is part of my collection MAGIC IN SUBURBIA, which is available in paperback and Kindle formats.