Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shadowlands


Living with Marion was a real education. Before I met her I knew very little about opera; after a few years in her household I could sing arias in the shower. (We took a water exercise class together at the local YMCA, and we used to sing duets in the shower there. We must have sounded reasonably good, because nobody ever complained. Some people even complimented us.)

Naturally, given Marion's love of opera, her house contained an entire library of opera videos. One day we were watching a tape of Orfeo ed Euridice, an opera by Gluck that tells the story of the musician Orpheus, who attempts to bring his dead wife back from the underworld. There are many versions of the myth, and in most of them he fails, but in this opera she is eventually returned to the world of the living. As we finished watching it, I turned to Marion and said, "Is it really the act of a loving spouse to bring someone back from heaven?" Then I wrote "Shadowlands" for SWORD AND SORCERESS 6. I guess you could call it my version of the myth.

"Shadowlands" is available for Kindle and Nook.