Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Lesser Twin

"The Lesser Twin" also appeared in the short-short story issue of Marion Zimmer Bradley's FANTASY Magazine (issue #9). In addition to all of the short-shorts (under 1000 words), there was a long story for each section, and this was the one for the Fantasy Section. "Long" in this case is about 2800 words, so it's very much relative.

By this time I had spent over a decade in Berkeley, and the novelty of the environment had long since worn off. I had seen too many men who treated women as interchangeable sex objects and too many women who tolerated such behavior. I had finally come to understand what the minister leading a retreat for our church youth group meant when he said, "Sex isn't bad. Sex is too good to be cheapened." I grew up in a very sheltered environment where people got married, had children, and stayed married until one of them died, so I didn't really have any reference for "cheap" sex when I was a teenager--especially while I was in a girls' boarding school.

This story was inspired by a friend of mine who told me she was in love with a man who had a new mistress every year or so. My initial reaction was incredulity, followed by the belief that she had lost her mind. She got over it pretty quickly, but by then I had written this story.

"The Lesser Twin" is available for Kindle and Nook.