Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Woman's Privilege

"A Woman's Privilege" was started at one of MZB's writing workshops. She did them almost every year, and I always attended them (I was in charge of the hand-outs anyway). We'd start Friday night with a first sentence, and by Sunday afternoon we'd have the major elements of the story done. Finishing and editing it was done after the workshop, but once the basics were there, the rest of the job wasn't too hard. I don't remember exactly where I got the original idea, but I do remember being in the basement doing laundry when a friend remarked to me that salt water and blood have a lot of the same elements. This story evolved into my first novel, CHANGING FATE, and I've been writing about these characters on and off ever since. "A Woman's Privilege" was published in SWORD AND SORCERESS III in 1986.

"A Woman's Privilege" is available for Kindle and Nook.